Japanese bullet trains are a marvel of technology, zipping along at crazy speeds while keeping passengers safe and comfortable! And now, this technology is all set to come to India for its own high-speed train network between Ahmedabad and Mumbai. Read on to know some interesting facts about the high-speed trains:
- The first line will be of 500 km, from Ahmedabad to Mumbai. The 12-station ride will be completed in just three hours, as against the current travel time of eight hours.
- The potential top speed is 500 km/h; however, the actual top speed is likely to be limited to 350 km/h.
- The Japanese trains incorporate an Urgent Earthquake Detection and Alarm System. Seismometers are installed in zones with high seismic activity, and upon indication of a potential earthquake, the system will cut the power supply to the train, to avoid any accidents.
- Largely an elevated route in India, there will be one 7 km undersea tunnel on the route.
- All axles in the train are powered, leading to higher-than-usual acceleration and minimal loss of time even with frequent stops.
- In India, the 750-seat bullet train and the accompanying infrastructure is expected to cost a whopping $17 billion.
- The train is expected to launch in 2022.