Jagmeet Singh, the impeccably dressed Sikh politician who might become Canada’s next Prime Minister.
If you thought the incumbent Prime Minister of Canada has swag and is charming, then you’re in for a surprise when you meet his biggest opponent Jagmeet Singh, a charismatic Sikh politician who rocks bright turbans, is social media savvy and is a vocal champion of the rights of people of colour and the LGBT community.
The 38-year-old Punjabi, who has his roots in Ghudani Khurd village near Ludhiana, became the first non-white candidate to be elected the head of the New Democratic Party (NDP) with 53.6% of the vote of the members.
But being the first brown leader to head a political party in Canada wasn’t enough for Singh. Soon after the announcement, Singh wasted no time to make his intentions clear, “I am officially launching my campaign to be the next Prime Minister of Canada.”
The next federal election in Canada is set for October 2019.
1. He was the first turban-wearing Sikh to sit as a provincial legislator in Ontario, the first to lead a major federal party, as well as the first to hold a deputy leader position in Canada.
2. When he is not making news for his politics, this man is making heads turn with his dapper style.
3. He has been voted as Toronto Life’s best dressed.
4. He loves cycles and wants the country to adopt a national cycling strategy.
— Keane Gruending (@KeaGru) October 1, 2017
5. He worked as a criminal defense lawyer in the Greater Toronto Area before entering politics.